Weddings can be an expensive enough business without having to add on another couple of thousand pounds to make sure you have the honeymoon of a lifetime too. If you don’t want to spend a fortune on your honeymoon, but you don’t want to end up staying at home, then there are some fantastic budget honeymoon destinations to explore that won’t break the bank. Here are seven of the best:
1. Cornwall, UK. Ok so it’s not as exotic as the Maldives but there are days in Cornwall when you could easily imagine that’s exactly where you are, as there are golden beaches and turquoise seas galore here. In addition to the train fare being cheaper than an international plane ticket, there are plenty of gorgeous, boutique B&Bs, hotels and guesthouses where you can stay for a fraction of the cost of a city location, or somewhere overseas. There’s nothing more romantic than gazing into your loved ones eyes over a proper cream tea…
2. Santorini, Greece. Although only a short hop from the UK, Santorini is a world away and it’s gleaming white houses, dramatic volcanic coastlines and breathtaking sunsets make it a perfect spot for lovers. Book into a hotel high up in Oia and spend some quality time together enjoying some local wine and the incredible views.
3. Ibiza, Spain. This is one for the party honeymooners who want to enjoy a touch of Balearic glitz and glamour after they’ve tied the knot. Prices here drop dramatically out of season (i.e. October – March), although the weather remains warm and many clubs like Pacha are open all year around. You can get some great deals on high-end accommodation out of season and if you visit before the parties start in May then you’ll most likely have the beaches to yourself – perfect for all those romantic strolls on the sand.
4. Goa, India. Whilst the plane fare will cost more than simply honeymooning in Europe or the UK, the daily cost of living in India is around £6, which means that you can live like a Raj on honeymoon for next to nothing. The beaches of Goa provide a great spot for relaxing after all the stresses and strains of the wedding and once you’re feeling recharged you can explore some of the rest of the country using the excellent rail network.
5. Hvar, Croatia. Croatia has been up and coming for years now but Hvar has only just made it onto most people’s radars. The island is one of the coolest places to honeymoon in Europe and, in terms of both getting there and the cost of your honeymoon, you’ll find it far cheaper than say Rome, Paris or the Caribbean. The island is known as the ‘Queen of the Dalmatia Coast’ and there are all the components for a great honeymoon here, from beautiful beaches to fabulous food and fascinating history.
6. St Lucia, Caribbean. Ok so this is not the cheapest of destinations in the world, but if you do want to stretch to the Caribbean then St Lucia is one of the best options. Look out for the all inclusive deals that many of the island’s hotels offer and be prepared to stay a few 100 metres away from the beach to get the cheapest honeymoon.
7. Morocco, North Africa. If you’re looking for a honeymoon somewhere that won’t cost the earth, but will still feel far enough away from home then Morocco is a great option. Temperatures are warm here most of the year around and there are some fabulous five star hotels and boutique riads where you can get great deals, particularly over winter and spring. Enjoy the hustle and bustle in Marrakesh, take a camel trek into the desert near Merzouga, enjoy a fabulous hotel cocktail in Casablanca, go surfing in Essaouira and take a tour over the breathtaking Atlas Mountains.
By opting for one of these fantastic honeymoon destinations, you can get everything you want from that special time, without coming home having run up lots of debt. The key to making your money go further is deciding exactly what you want from the trip, and then looking at the cheapest times to travel to make sure that you get it.